Child May Have Started House Fire

Capt. Kenison Tejada
Capt. Kenison Tejada

HONOLULU (KHNL) - A child playing with matches or a lighter may've caused a fire at a Punchbowl home Friday.

Firefighters rushed to the house on Auwaiolimu Street at about 10:45 a.m. Investigators believe a child started the fire in a bedroom closet.

A woman in her 20s and her four-month-old son were in the home at the time. Fire officials say the two stayed in one of the bedrooms while neighbors tackled the flames with a garden hose.

"They were putting water on the fire," Capt. Kenison Tejada, Honolulu Fire Department, said. "So the fire was actually knocked down, just more smoke by the time we came. So once she was sure it was okay to come out, she opened the door for us and we didn't have to break down the door."

Fire officials say no one was hurt. The flames caused about $6,000 in damages.