Man dies, police K-9 stabbed after shooting on Oahu's North Shore

Published: Jun. 23, 2018 at 1:31 PM HST|Updated: Jun. 23, 2018 at 7:49 PM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
The incident happened on Kapuai Place on Oahu's North Shore. (Image: Google Maps)
The incident happened on Kapuai Place on Oahu's North Shore. (Image: Google Maps)

NORTH SHORE, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A seven-hour standoff on Oahu's North Shore ended with police fatally shooting a man, while an HPD K-9 suffered several stab wounds.

Neighbors say it all started around 5 p.m. Friday with an argument about a utility bill between housemates at one of the homes on Kapuai Place in Sunset Beach.

Police were called to the home and HPD says the situation appeared to be resolved, so officers left.

That's when neighbors say the 32-year old suspect became more aggressive and out of control.

"At 8 p.m., the officers received another call involving the same individual. When the officers arrived, the suspect appeared agitated and delusional," said Honolulu Police Chief Susan Ballard.

Ballard says the suspect was approved by a police psychologist to be taken in for a mental health evaluation, but he refused to come outside.

She says he was also armed.

"He was seen with numerous knives and a bow and arrow. The suspect continued to threaten violence to the neighbors and himself while carrying weapons around the house," she said.

Ballard says officers used a taser and tear gas on the suspect, but both were ineffective.

She says HPD's Specialized Services Division tried to talk to him for several hours, when he eventually exited the house with a bow and arrow.

That's when police moved in.

"The suspect tried to reenter the house. He ignored repeated commands to stop. The HPD K-9 was then deployed. The suspect began stabbing the K-9 with an arrow. Fearing for the safety of the officers and the K-9, an SSD officer fired three rounds all striking the suspect," Ballard said.

The suspect was taken to a hospital in critical condition where he later died.

The dog, named Zero, was injured and required surgery, police said.

Zero underwent surgery Saturday morning and is expected to make a full recovery.

"We believe the vest was very instrumental in saving the dog, but right at the top of the vest around the neck area, he was stabbed several times," HPD chief Susan Ballard said.

The officer who fired the shots has been with the force for 25 years. He has been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

Watch the full HPD news conference below:

Details are developing. This story will be updated.

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.