Plea deal considered for man who plowed into group of teens in Ewa Beach

Plea deal considered for man who plowed into group of teens in Ewa Beach
Malik Morton with his attorney Myles Breiner (image: Hawaii News Now)

EWA BEACH, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A possible plea deal could be in the works for the man accused of intentionally plowing into a group of teens in Ewa Beach in 2016.

Malik Morton's attorney, Myles Breiner, said his client never intended to injure anyone and he was trying to escape a racist attack. Because he struck two people, Morton was charged with first- and second-degree attempted murder.

A conviction could mean life without parole.

On Wednesday, victim Alisha Brown spoke publicly for the first time outside of court.

When Morton's car struck Brown at a party, her body was tossed into the air like a rag doll, witnesses said.

She had skull and facial fractures, collapsed lungs, a broken arm and brain damage.

"I just want him to owe, like what he did, for everyone, all the heartbreak he caused. For him to realize what he committed and what he did is not OK," said Brown. "I just want justice to be served."

Family members say they were told attorneys were working out a deal to reduce the charges to first-degree assault with a maximum prison term of 10 years. However, both parties could not reach an agreement on Wednesday and the secret negotiations go on.

"We can't allow these kinds of things to happen on this island or anywhere in the world. And today, we see so many people using vehicles as things to hurt or kill other people," said Brown's dad, Shane. "Hopefully this can be brought back into the attention and the eye of the community."

Morton also hit Ryan Ilar, who was left in serious condition after the incident.

His mother, Trina, said Ryan is doing well and is studying at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She said they are just waiting for a resolution.

"I want justice to be served and to show them that we can trust the judiciary system and that he needs to serve jail time for all the pain and suffering he has caused," she said.

Morton fled the scene of the incident but turned himself in two days later. He has been free since September on $500,000 bail.

"It seems like we're not being considered and we're trying to prove ourselves, that what he did is wrong and that we are the victims here," said Alisha Brown's mom, Lily.

Prosecutor Dean Young said that going to trial for attempted murder is not a sure thing and Morton could be acquitted. He said a plea to assault would assure punishment.

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.