EWA BEACH, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Over the weekend, a surfer was seriously injured off Oneula Beach in what authorities initially thought was a shark bite.
But on Tuesday, the state said the injury wasn't caused by a shark. More likely, it was a surfboard fin.
The 48-year-old man was surfing at an area known as Hau Bush, offshore of Oneula Beach Park around 7:45 a.m. when it happened.
When he made it to shore, paramedics worked to control the bleeding and pain before he was transported to an emergency room in serious condition.
"We just pulled up on the spot and saw the ambulance getting the guy out of the water," surfer Dan Florenco said. "It looked like it was pretty bad."
Believing the injury might have been caused by a shark, warning signs were posted along the coast through Monday.
EMS officials said this is an unguarded beach. Federal lifeguards at White Plains next door were notified.
This story will be updated.