HFD concludes investigation into UH transformer fire that caused over $1M in damage
MANOA, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Fire Department has concluded its investigation into a transformer fire that caused $1.5 million in damage.
A transformer fire at the University of Hawaii at Manoa on April 19 sent thick, black smoke into the air over Honolulu last week has been ruled accidental, according to the Honolulu Fire Department.
Honolulu fire crews responded to the fire at 6:47 p.m. Authorities say the incident happened at an electrical substation on Lower Campus Road, just outside the right field fence at Les Murakami Stadium.
It has been determined that a malfunction within the transformer ignited transformer oil inside. The fire is estimated to have done $1.5 million in damage.
HFD officials said that the fire was caused by a malfunction within the machine that ignited the transformer's oil.
Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.