North Shore community mourns as suspects' past comes to light

Suspected Haleiwa murder suspects make initial court appearance
Published: Dec. 7, 2017 at 9:04 PM HST|Updated: Dec. 10, 2017 at 10:58 AM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)

HALEIWA, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - As police continue to investigate the gruesome murder of a woman on Oahu's North Shore earlier this week, the Haleiwa community came together to remember the beloved mother, wife, and friend who was the victim of an unthinkable tragedy.

There is still no known motive for why Telma Boinville suffered such an awful death. But it was very clear at Friday's vigil that she was loved.

"I thank God at this time for allowing her to be my partner because it's been the best years of my life," said Kevin Emery, the victim's husband.

Emery said his wife "was the most beautiful spirit and most beautiful soul."

On Thursday afternoon, Boinville was brutally murdered in a vacation rental on Ke Iki Road that she had been cleaning.

Sources said the 51-year-old suffered blunt force trauma to the head, and that her body was found in a pool of blood. The victim was at the home with her 8-year-old daughter, who was found tied up but was otherwise uninjured.

In an emotional interview Friday, the victim's husband said he's forgiven the person who did it.

"It's very hard for me to say this right now, but I forgive you, to the person who did this. I know this is an act of evil,"

And he called on the community to come together.

"Love your friends, love your neighbors, love your families. And kill everybody with aloha. Because life is about aloha," he said. "Spread the aloha spirit so everybody around the world can feel it. That's why they're here. That's why there's traffic all here. They all want a piece of Hawaii to feel the aloha."

And that's just the message people took to heart.

Earlier Friday, Boinville's family and friends gathered at Ke Iki Beach for a celebration of life, laying flowers to honor a woman who had an impact on so many. Those who knew her say Boinville, who was a substitute teacher at Sunset Beach Elementary School, was a loving and caring person.

"She did everything she could to be with people and she would ... celebrate life," said friend Virginia Hebert. "Telma, we love you."

Details over suspects' history emerge

Two suspects, 23-year-old Stephen Brown and 20-year-old Hailey Dandurand, were arrested Thursday night in Mililani, where the victim's vehicle was also found. Around 8 a.m. Friday, the two were both transferred to the Honolulu Police Department headquarters, where they laughed and smirked at news cameras as police hauled them into the cellblock.

The two were wearing police-issued attire, their clothes apparently taken for evidence.

Sources say the victim's credit card was found in one of the suspect's pockets, and that dried blood was found on their clothing and hands.

Police were called to the Pupukea home where the murder happened about 3 p.m., after visitors from Australia arrived and found the victim.

An all points bulletin went out for the suspects shortly afterwards.

"They tied up my daughter and they beat my wife to death with a baseball bat," said the victim's husband, standing outside the home where his wife was killed. "They won't even let me in the house because it's so bad."

Hawaii News Now spoke with Brown's stepdad who confirmed Brown was born in Ohio and raised in Florida. Brown's stepfather also said Brown moved to Hawaii two years ago with his real father.

Meanwhile, more details surfaced over suspect Hailey Dandurand's past.

According to the Bend Police Department in Oregon, Dandurand was a frequent runaway in her youth. She was known to have a "medical history," but officials could not provide further details.

On Friday, Brian Emery, the victim's brother-in-law, said his family is grateful for the outpouring of support from across the state.

"We love you guys and thank you for coming together to work so quickly at catching these individuals as fast as we were able to catch them," he said. "Thank you for everybody who played a role and thank you for all the prayers."

Social media played key role

The suspects were captured within hours of the homicide in large part thanks to social media, which helped spread word about the heinous crime -- and that the suspects were still running in the victim's truck.

Hours after the murder, Emery issued an emotional call on social media for help finding the killers. He included the description of the pickup truck they allegedly stole and said that the man involved had green hair.

Within hours, the victim's truck was found. And after a short foot chase with police, Brown and Dandurand were arrested.

As the suspects were hauled into police cruisers and driven away Thursday night, more than 60 onlookers shouted angrily at the two — in a scene that underscored how shocked and disturbed the crime left many in the community.

"Good job, cops!" one onlooker yelled, while others shouted obscenities at the two.

Many also heckled Brown, who yelled back.

Retired federal agent Tommy Aiu says social media has changed law enforcement dramatically and has proven to be a very useful tool in tracking down wanted people.

"In a case like this, it's a tremendous help because the police can't be everywhere and they can't see everything but once they get the information they act on it and can apprehend the suspects involved it's a tremendous win for the police department and the community," he said.

That's especially true when the scene is still active, and the suspects could still be close by.

Aiu says letting more people looking out could literally lead police right to them.

Investigation ongoing

The two suspects have not yet been charged in the murder, but are expected to face a judge early next week.

Officials said Dandurand was arrested for car theft, while Brown was taken into custody for a $20,000 warrant and criminal property damage after he kicked out the window of a police vehicle.

Records show that Brown has had previous run-ins with the law, including two felony arrests.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright 2017 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.