IWILEI (HawaiiNewsNow) - Both directions of Alakawa Street in Iwilei are back open after an early-morning fire that burst from a manhole.
The fire happened just before 4 a.m.
Hawaii News Now cameras captured flames coming from the manhole located in front of the Home Depot. A plume of smoke followed shortly thereafter.
The Honolulu Fire Department said the blaze was likely caused by water from recent heavy rains that may have gotten into underground wires that were spliced together.
Crews are still investigating the cause. Hawaii Gas, however, said it is not a gas fire.
On Wednesday morning, a gas leak temporarily shut down Alakawa Street. That was from a propane truck and not associated with Hawaii Gas, officials said.
This story will be updated.