Man whose mother's remains were found in freezer: 'I killed my mom'

Man whose mother's remains were found in freezer: 'I killed my mom'
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)

WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) - The man whose mother's dismembered body was found in a freezer in his Waikiki apartment told officers that he accidentally killed her during an argument after he told her he wanted to drop out of school to get a job, court documents said.

The documents also recount the grisly find that officers made in the unit.

Yu Wei Gong, 26, made his first appearance in court Monday, and his preliminary hearing is set for Wednesday.

He's been charged with second-degree murder in the death of mother, Liu Yun Gong, and his bail is set at $2 million.

Gong was arrested April 11, after calling 911 and telling a dispatcher, "I killed my mom," the documents said.

He was subsequently hospitalized at the Queen's Medical Center as he underwent a mental health evaluation.

Court documents released Monday said that Gong told an officer he killed his mother during an argument in September at their apartment on Launiu Street.

When officers arrived at his apartment, Gong was outside the building and bleeding from his left wrist.

An officer asked Gong if his mother was OK, and Gong replied that "she was angry and that he didn't want to go to school; he wanted to work."

The documents continue: "Yu Wei further related that he hit his mother and that she was upstairs."

When officers got into the apartment, they asked Gong where his mother was and he replied she was "in the fridge," the court documents said.

An officer "checked the freezer ... and found it contained numerous plastic bags containing unknown objects. One of the bags revealed a piece of meat that appeared 'fleshy' and 'hairy,'" the documents said.

An officer recognized the flesh to be human remains, the documents said, and a different officer saw what appeared to be a human leg and foot.

The court documents also say that the victim's coworker said she had last been seen at work around Aug. 20.  Liu Yun Gong was scheduled to work on Aug. 21, but never showed up, her co-worker said.

When the co-worker tried to call her on her cell, the woman's son answered and said she was off island.

A search warrant executed at the apartment on April 12 found at least seven plastic trash bags containing human remains.

The medical examiner subsequently determined that Liu Yun Gong had died after sustaining blunt force injuries to her head.


Copyright 2017 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.