Man released from hospital, charged in Waikiki murder investigation

Published: Apr. 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM HST|Updated: Apr. 17, 2017 at 5:28 AM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)

WAIKIKI (HawaiiNewsNow) - Investigators continued to gather evidence Wednesday at a Waikiki apartment where a woman's dismembered body was found in a freezer.

Yu Wei Gong, 26, has been arrested for second-degree murder in the case. He was taken to the hospital for psychiatric care, but was released Sunday and charged with second-degree murder.

His bail has been set at $2 million and he will appear in court on Monday.

Sources tell Hawaii News Now he is the victim's son.

Lt. Phillip Lavarias, of the Honolulu Police Department, confirmed Wednesday that human remains were found at the apartment after executing a search warrant for the suspect's home. Medical examiners wheeled them out on a stretcher.

On Wednesday morning, officers also removed large trash bags of evidence from the apartment.

Robin Greenlaw, who lives next door to the suspect, said she's struggling to come to terms with the killing.

"I didn't have a good sleep last night," she said.

She also said she saw a large standalone freezer in Gong's apartment when the door was open. She said it was behind a partition in his living room.

"It was white and big," she said. "We saw the freezer. My sister goes, 'Oh, wow! They got a big freezer in there, you know. That was kinda odd. It was just odd to be standing in the living room."

Police say they don't know how long the remains were in the apartment and cops won't confirm if the body was dismembered.

Gong is a former student at Kapiolani Community College. Neighbors say he kept to himself.

"Vaguely seen him. But my other half seen him all the time in the elevator. He's just super quiet," said resident Adam Cordorno.

Greenlaw said she remembers the suspect and his mother as cordial.

"They come and go and we'd say hi, and they're very nice. The young man was very nice," Greenlaw said. "The son was very polite, very nice. It's so sad what happened."

Greenlaw says she last saw Gong's mother about a month ago, and thought she was on vacation.

The victim has not been officially identified.

Copyright 2017 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.