2 wounded in officer-involved shooting in Mililani

2 wounded in officer-involved shooting in Mililani
(Image: Kinji Martin)
(Image: Kinji Martin)
(Image: Kinji Martin)
(Image: Kinji Martin)

MILILANI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - An officer opened fire on a stolen vehicle that rammed into a police-subsidized vehicle in Mililani on Thursday, hitting two men.

The men, identified by police as 30-year-old Dayson James Eblacas and 31-year-old Mathew Teson, were transported to the Queen's Medical Center in serious condition.

The 30-year-old man had an apparent gunshot wound to the upper right back, paramedics said. The 31-year-old was being treated for a gunshot wound to the right hip and right elbow.

Police said the incident happened about 1:15 p.m. Thursday, when officers responded to the Burger King across from Mililani High after getting a report about a 2015 Ford pickup truck that had been stolen Wednesday in Pearl City.

"We had an anonymous call that we had a stolen vehicle in the area, and officers responded to that scene," said Acting Assistant Police Chief Larry Lawson of the Honolulu Police Department.

In an attempt to flee, police said, the driver of the stolen vehicle rammed into a police-subsidized car and nearly hit an officer.

It's at that point that an officer fired, hitting the driver and passenger. A third person in the vehicle was uninjured.

"Everyone was really scared, really shocked, inside of the Burger King," said resident Kinji Martin.

No officers or bystanders were injured. The officer who opened fire is a 12-year veteran of the force.

Mililani High School principal Fred Murphy heard the shots from across the street.

"We heard a popping sound, three distinct popping noises," he said. "And about maybe ten seconds after we walked out of the classrooms and looked, we heard sirens start." He immediately announced that the campus was on lockdown.

"This is not a drill. That was the first thing I heard," said Travis Afuso, student body president. "And they said we are now on lockdown, teachers lock your doors, close your windows, and all the students are supposed to go under the tables."

Afuso said he was very concerned about the lockdown because he didn't know what was happening.

"I wasn't sure if there was a shooter on campus, or what was really going on. So for me a lot of different scenarios were running through my head."

The lockdown was lifted at 1:50 p.m., but students remained in their sixth period classes until the regular school dismissal time at 2:30.

Murphy said the school used a phone-dialing system to notify parents, and a letter also was given to the school's nearly 2,600 to take home, explaining what happened.

Police said the driver of the stolen pickup truck faces charges including first-degree attempted murder. The passenger faces a charge of unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle. Nichole Teson, a 35-year-old woman in the back seat, was unhurt; she was arrested on several contempt warrants. Police said all three have prior felony records.

The officer who fired the shots has been placed on administrative leave, which Lawson said is standard procedure.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.