WAIMEA BAY, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Eddie has gotten a green light this year after all.
The World Surf League announced Monday that Quiksilver and the Eddie Aikau family have resolved their differences, and that the 2016-2017 Quiksilver in Memory of Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational holding period will kick off as planned.
An opening ceremony is planned for Thursday.
The Eddie, one of the world's premier surfing events, was launched in 1985 and only occurs when there are consistent, rideable waves of at least 30 feet in Waimea Bay during the narrow three-month holding period.
Last February, thousands of spectators jammed Waimea Bay when the surf contest was held for the first time since 2009.
The competition has only happened nine times since it began in 1984.
"We are proud to see the tradition of The Eddie continue without interruption -- a testament to our respect for Eddie Aikau, the Aikau family, the Hawaiian people, and the community at large," said Pierre Agnes, Quiksilver's CEO, in a news release.
Earlier this year, the Aikau family announced it was severing ties with event sponsor Quiksilver. The Aikau family was not immediately available for a comment, but the World Surf League's news release said family members were happy the surf contest was moving forward "in a manner that would maintain the integrity and Hawaiian spirit of the competition."
The contest is invite-only and for the first time in it's history, a father and son were invited -- Michael Ho and his son Mason. It's also the first time a female athlete -- Keala Kenelly -- made the alternative list.
The surfers invited to the event this year are:
John John Florence