HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Ala Moana Shopping Center is surrounded by intersections where vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians cross paths -- and sometimes collide.
"Most people have their own attitudes about why an intersection is dangerous. Why a pedestrian decides to cross at a particular crosswalk," accident attorney Mark Davis said.
Davis and his partners at Davis, Levin and Livingston collected thousands of police accident reports to map out Oahu's most dangerous intersections in 2015.
Those around the shopping center had by far the most collisions and crashes, with 312 accidents.
"You realize how frequent these things can happen," Davis said.
Here's a look at other dangerous intersections:
- 4210 block of Waialae Avenue, 147 accidents
- H-1 Freeway eastbound near exit 20 in Kalihi, 138 accidents
- H-1 Freeway downtown near exit 21, 134 accidents
- H-1 Freeway near exit 23, 121 accidents
- 1620 block of North School Street, 106 accidents
- 520 block of Alakawa Street, 104 accidents
- 2250 block of Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki, 78 accidents
- 1300 block of Punchbowl Street, 67 accidents
- 2000 block of Kalia Road in Waikiki, 63 accidents
- 840 block of Ala Lilikoi Street in Salt Lake, 59 accidents
- 800 block of South Beretania Street, 56 accidents
- 3220 block of Waialae Avenue, Kaimuki, 55 accidents
Davis said preventable accidents often come down to driver distractions.
"The attentiveness of the driver is continually distracted with screens on the new cars, Bluetooth devices, and people switching with the iPhones to change the music," he said.
Tatsuyuki Kobayashi, owner of Koby's Driving School, urges drivers to really tune in when they approach an intersection.
"Move around. Look at pedestrians," he said. "Sometimes with the kids we ask the to play 'I Spy.' What do you see over there? What do you see over there?"
Davis hopes state and city experts study its report and break it down by speed, time of day, and how many pedestrians were in the intersection when an accident happened.
"That's going to do a lot to try to move towards preventing these types of things in the future," he said.
The other intersections with more than 50 accidents last year were:
To see a map of accidents on Oahu, click here.