Given his rap sheet, some question why police chase suspect was free

Given his rap sheet, some question why police chase suspect was free
Published: Aug. 24, 2016 at 7:27 PM HST|Updated: Aug. 24, 2016 at 10:47 PM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The man accused of taking police on an hour-long chase Tuesday afternoon that shut down part of the H-1 Freeway, snarling traffic for hours, is no stranger to being pursued by police.

Bryson Bagio, who has been arrested for multiple police chases, was out on bail when he was arrested again Tuesday.

Records show he has been arrested following at least three recent police pursuits.

Just last year, Bagio pleaded "no contest" to driving a stolen vehicle and taking police on a chase, Hawaii News Now has learned. He was given four years of supervised release in June 2015.

And then, earlier this year, he was arrested for driving a stolen van and leading police on another chase that ended when he crashed into a fence and ran through a yard -- naked.

His bail was set at $40,000, even though he was already on probation.

Former Honolulu Prosecuting Attorney Peter Carlisle thinks prosecutors should have done more to keep Bagio behind bars,

Bail "can be revoked," he said. "He does everything wrong, nothing changes. He's still out and free in the community."

In June, just two months ago, he was arrested again after another police chase in a stolen truck. He was also charged for a hit-and-run that injured a 74-year-old woman.

Only then did prosecutors request his four-year supervised release be removed, but they didn't aks that his bail be increased and it remained at $40,000. He got out again.

A spokesman for city Prosecutor Keith Kaneshiro says Bagio didn't show up for the hearing to revoke his supervised release sentence earlier this month. That's when warrants were issued and police went searching for Bagio.

During the chase Tuesday, Bagio is accused of causing multiple accidents while trying to get away.

The chase started in Waianae about 3 p.m., and wound from the west side, over the H-3 to Kaneohe.

Bagio then headed back to town on the Likelike Highway. The chase went through parts of Kalihi before getting back onto the H-1, this time, westbound.

It ended about 4:20 p.m. in Aiea, when Bagio allegedly hit several cars on the freeway during the busy afternoon commute.

"There was an enormous amount of property damage, there was an enormous amount of inconvenience to everybody who was trying to get home," Carlisle said.

Bagio was injured and hospitalized after scaling a wall along the freeway. His bail is now up to $200,000 for the warrants. He has not yet been charged in the latest chase.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.