Suspect in freeway road rage case has history of violence
EWA BEACH, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The 58-year old man accused of stabbing three people in an apparent road rage incident on the H-1 Freeway on Monday has a history of violence.
Before the stabbing and subsequent standoff with police, Mark Char already had numerous felony cases pending for terroristic threatening, assault, negligent injury and weapons charges.
Char was arrested for attempted murder just before 8 p.m. Monday at his Halolani Street home, after an hours-long standoff with police. He was charged Wednesday, and his bail was set at $2 million.
Police had tracked Char to his Ewa Beach home after the stabbing, in which one man was critically injured and two other sustained serious injuries.
Char has had a string of run-ins with the law, and neighbors say he terrorized them for years.
"He came behind me and he clipped me," says a neighbor, who didn't want his name used for fear of retribution.
Char is accused of assault in that case, from earlier this year. "I saw it was him so I told him, 'watch where you're going' and then he stopped and he came out and he started shooting me with pepper spray," the neighbor said.
The man says Char unloaded the can, then started beating him. "He started kicking me in the ribs with his boots, I started screaming for help," he said.
Char was also at the center of a case iin March 2014, in which a motorcyclist sustained serious injuries.
In March 2014, Robert Johnson was on a motorcycle in Ewa Beach when he says Char, who he recognized, intentionally rammed into him. John was thrown into a parked car.
"His head was slashed open. His shoulder was separated. His left foot was (broken)," Johnson's wife, Renee, said.
Char allegedly took off before the police arrived.
And in 2013, Char was involved in a police standoff. That case is also still pending.
Victims and neighbors say they are angry that Char is repeatedly allowed back onto the streets.
"If he was put away, I wouldn't have to worry about this man," said the man whose car was intentionally hit. "Time and time again he's been doing this."
Renee Johnson says her husband hasn't been able to work a full week since the crash two years ago.
They own their own plumbing business and have seven children. She says her husband is angry and always worried that he will have another run-in with Char.
"I lost my family," Johnson said. "My family's not the same."
Meanwhile, YouTube video has surfaced that apparently shows Char driving very close to cars in traffic and then cutting them off. A woman, apparently Char's wife, is recording the events.
The video shows the two pulling up next to an SUV and shining a bright light at the driver. The driver turns out to be a Honolulu Police Officer in a subsidized vehicle. He turns on his blue lights and siren and appears to be telling Char to pull over.
The video stops after Char's wife says, "Oh it's a cop."
In the incident Monday, a 22-year-old man suffered critical injuries and the two other men involved were in serious condition.
Witnesses say the stabbing happened when a red Camaro -- with Char and his wife inside -- pulled off to the side of the freeway, and a white sedan -- with two men inside -- pulled up behind them.
A fight broke out and, witnesses say, Char got out of the Camaro and stabbed the two men. The 22-year-old was stabbed multiple times in his stomach. The other man, 23, was stabbed in the arm.
Both men were taken by ambulance to the hospital.
The third victim, who stopped to try and break up the fight, was also stabbed and he drove himself to the hospital.
Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.