Extended HOV hours begin Monday
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The HOV lanes in five heavily congested areas will now be open from 5:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. during weekdays. The change starts Monday, June 27 and extends the routes by 30 minutes.
The following HOV lanes are affected:
- H-1 Freeway eastbound (HOV, Waiawa Interchange to Keehi Interchange)
- H-1 Freeway eastbound (Zip lane, Managers Drive overpass to Keehi Interchange)
- H-1 Freeway eastbound (shoulder express lane – extension of contraflow express lane/ Zip lane, Pearl Harbor Interchange to Keehi Interchange)
- Nimitz Highway eastbound (HOV and contraflow, Keehi Interchange to Industrial Parkway)
- H-2 Freeway southbound (HOV, Mililani Interchange to Waiawa Interchange)
Vehicles using those lanes must have two or more occupants. The DOT says the change is meant to encourage ridesharing, which helps reduce traffic.
In addition to the morning changes, the DOT is making adjustments to its evening traffic patterns.
The existing carpool restrictions for the following routes will be lifted to allow cars with just one person inside, starting on June 27.
- H-1 eastbound (Waiawa Interchange to Keehi Interchange)
- H-2 southbound (Mililani Interchange to Waiawa Interchange)
- H-201 Moanalua Freeway eastbound (Halawa Interchange to Puuloa Road)
Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.