Warning signs removed after 1 million gallon wastewater spill near Sandy Beach
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Health officials on Friday announced that water quality tests determined that Sandy Beach was safe to enter following a massive wastewater spill earlier this week. Warning signs are now removed.
The public was first urged on Thursday to stay out of East Oahu water, stretching from Erma's to Sandy Beach to the Halona Blowhole, after 1 million gallons of wastewater discharged into the ocean.
The state Department of Health said it spilled from the East Honolulu Water Treatment plant after an underground electrical line reportedly failed.
DOH officials said the sewage was treated but not disinfected before it was released.
Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.