Mother seeks more oversight on dental safety a year after Finley Boyle's death

Mother seeks more oversight on dental safety a year after Finley Boyle's death
Published: Jan. 4, 2015 at 9:28 PM HST|Updated: Jan. 4, 2015 at 11:18 PM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

KAILUA, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Kailua Beach was a favorite place of little three-year-old Finley Boyle. A year after her death, her mother has returned to the spot to raise awareness about what happened.

"Finley was my only daughter. She was my world," said Ashley Boyle. "I've been through the most tragic, horrible year of my life," said Ashley Boyle.

Ashley Boyle spent Sunday with friends at Kailua Beach, remembering her daughter. A medical examiner's report said Finley suffered cardiac arrest after she was given vive different sedatives during a procedure at Island Dentistry for Children in December 2013. She died a month later.

"I am more trusting of professions. Or was more trusting of professionals because I know the standards I hold myself to, and I just expect that other professionals do the same," said Ashley, who has worked as a registered nurse.

New rules regarding dentists and sedatives were put into place shortly after Finley's death, But Ashley has started a web site, She's pushing for a law allowing parents to be in the treatment room with their children during dental procedures, or at least to have a window available so they can observe. She also wants a law that says any drug must be administered by the dentist or an equally-certified staff member.

Boyle's family reached a settlement the insurance company for Finley's dentist, Dr. Lilly Geyer. However, Boyle wants Geyer to face criminal charges in her daughter's death.

"She needs to be held accountable for what she did," she said. "And a slap on the wrist and an insurance settlement is not justice. That's not what I'm looking for. I would give all the money back in a heartbeat."

Geyer voluntarily shut down Island Dentistry and remains under state investigation, but no charges have yet been filed.

Meanwhile, Ashley Boyle still returns to Kailua Beach often, sometimes to talk to her daughter.

"Pretty much I tell her I miss her all the time. Or when I need strength, I'll ask for her strength."

Previous story: Settlement reached in dental tragedy case involving 3-year-old girl

Copyright 2015 HawaiiNewsNow. All rights reserved.