3-year-old left brain dead after dentist visit dies

3-year-old left brain dead after dentist visit dies
Published: Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM HST|Updated: Jan. 4, 2014 at 7:43 PM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A three-year-old girl who was left brain dead following a procedure at a local dentist in Kailua has died.

Finley Boyle died Friday evening at Hospice Hawaii's home in Kailua. Family attorney Richard Fried said her parents and other relatives were present when she died.

"No words can express the grief the family is going through but they feel this is what she would have wanted," Fried said.

The following is a statement released on behalf of the Boyle family:

From Kenneth L. Zeri, RN, MS, President & Chief Professional Officer of Hospice Hawaii

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce that at 8:47 p.m. last night, Finley Boyle passed away with her family at her side. The Boyle Family asks that you please respect their privacy during this time of grief and extends a heartfelt mahalo for all of your support and prayers over the past few weeks.  

There are few greater privileges in life than to accompany someone on their end-of-life journey, providing comfort and support not only to that person but also to their loved ones. As with all of our patients, we were truly blessed to be able to be there for the The Boyle Family and for Finley at the end of her journey. The family will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers."

On December 3,  Finley went to Dr. Lilly Geyer at Island Dentistry for Children in Kailua.

She was there to have four root canals, and ten cavities filled but stopped breathing after reportedly receiving the maximum dose of 5 different drugs.

"In this case, it's debatable whether any of that was necessary," said Fried. "There were so many places here where the errors could have been rectified, right up until the end, and Finley would be alive."

Fried said that he would be filing a wrongful death lawsuit against Geyer and Island Dentistry. Island Dentistry's Web site said that it was now closed permanently, and listed an E-mail and postal mail address as ways to contact them.

"Nothing, unfortunately, can be done to bring Finley back. But if people - and there's been a fair amount over coverage around the country -- recognize to get second opinions, to dental boards around the country, to make sure that people giving these drugs are certified as pediatric dentists," said Fried, when asked what Finley's parents would want.

Related Links:

Follow Ben Gutierrez:   

Copyright 2014 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.