Federally-funded program to assist low-income households with energy bills

Published: Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Starting June 1, the Honolulu Community Action Program, Inc. (HCAP) will be accepting applications for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) on Oahu.

LIHEAP is a federally-funded program to help low-income households meet their energy needs. LIHEAP is offered once a year and provides income-eligible households with assistance in paying electric or gas bills. Last year, HCAP helped more than 5,700 Oahu families apply for energy assistance through LIHEAP.

"With the difficult economic conditions and the high cost of living, low-income families continue to struggle even with basic necessities. These families are hit hardest by rising utility rates, having to pay a higher percentage of their household incomes for energy than their middle and high income counterparts," HCAP Executive Director Robert N.E. Piper said. "We encourage all those who may qualify for LIHEAP to avail themselves of this helpful program."

Oahu residents can qualify for one of two programs available through LIHEAP in 2012. The first is "Gas or Electric Bill Payment Assistance," whereby an energy credit is applied to the gas or electric accounts of households having difficulty paying these bills. The second is "Energy Crisis Intervention," whereby households whose electricity has been shut off in the past sixty days or is scheduled to be shut off within seven days are provided financial assistance.

HCAP will be accepting applications at its five district centers and at other select locations on Oahu for one month only, starting June 1 and ending June 29, 2012. Application hours include Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays: 9 a.m. - noon; Tuesdays: 9 a.m. - noon and 4:30 p.m. - 6 p.m.; and Fridays: 9 a.m. -noon and 2 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Applicants must bring the following documents and information to apply:

  • Photo ID for all household members 18 years and older (driver's license, state ID or passport)
  • Current original gas or electric bill
  • Proof of residence: A document, other than the gas/electric bill, showing that the applicant lives at the address listed on the bill including phone bill or doctor's bill.
  • Social security numbers for all household members
  • Proof of age for household members 60 and older and children five and under (examples: photo ID or birth certificate)
  • Proof of income for all household members. Bring all that apply: All Pay Stubs since January 2012; Self Employed General Taxes; Social Security Award Letter (2012); Supplemental Security Income Letter; Unemployment Determination Letter; Scholarship Award Letter, etc.
  • Proof of assets for all household members. Bring all that apply: Current bank statements for Savings, Checking, Credit Union, stocks and bonds, cash on hand, etc. Must be dated between June 1-29, 2012.

Interested applicants may call any of the HCAP district service centers for more information on dates, times, and program requirements:

  • Central District Service Center 99-102 Kalaloa Street Aiea, HI 96701 (808) 488-6834
  • Leahi District Service Center 1915 Palolo Avenue Honolulu, HI 96816 (808) 732-7755
  • Leeward District Service Center 85-555 Farrington Hwy Waianae, HI 96792 (808) 696-4261
  • Kalihi-Palama District Service Center 1555 Haka Drive, #2408 Honolulu, HI 96817 (808) 847-0804
  • Windward District Service Center 47-232 Waihee Road Kaneohe, HI 96744 (808) 239-5754

For more information, visit or call (808) 521-4531.

Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.