Health Department closes Dengue probe, still urges vigilance
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The state Department of Health has officially closed its investigation into a possible outbreak of dengue fever on Oahu, but still urged families to remain vigilant against the disease.
Five people became ill due to confirmed cases of dengue fever in late February, but no further cases were identified since then.
More than 70 volunteers went door to door in Kalihi Valley Saturday, passing out information about how to stop the spread of mosquito-borne diseases. Gov. Neil Abercrombie and Lt. Gov. Brian Schatz proclaimed the day "Great Hawaii Mosquito Swat Day."
"More than a hundred blood samples were drawn and analyzed," said Dr. Kate Gaynor, director of the Hawaii Medical Reserve Corps. "I think we can officially say that there's no circulation of dengue fever in Hawaii right now."
Health officials said keeping those diseases under control may require more efforts from citizens.
"Due to budget cuts with most of our programs, this is something we may have to look at, to do more often, to organize volunteers to get out into the community," said the health department's Peter Oshiro.
Copyright 2011 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.