Reporter’s Notebook: Got down time in Yakutat? Get out your reel.
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Most Hawaii residents get fish from a grocery store.
But in Yakutat, Alaska, it’s caught fresh.
Crew members with Hawaiian voyaging canoe Hokulea got in a day of fishing during their downtime.
SPECIAL SECTION: Hokulea’s Pacific Voyage
Yakutat fisherman, Ralph Wolfe, showed a crew from Hawaii News Now how to do it. This reporter even got to reel in a 30-pound king salmon, which was served for dinner for the Hokulea crew and their hosts.
Also in this series:
- In Alaska, shared bonds are celebrated with a welcoming feast for Hokulea’s crew
- Hokulea’s crew jumps into chilly Alaskan waters to go ... (what else?) surfing
- Far from home, Hokulea takes ‘heritage sail’ to honor a precious gift from years ago
- Hokulea’s arrival allows Alaska Natives to practice protocol not seen in more than a century
- An icy sail for Hokulea as voyaging canoe makes history with Hubbard Glacier visit
Copyright 2023 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.