Massive surf keeps lifeguards busy, with more than 60 rescues on North Shore

Lifeguards said they rescued 64 people at Waimea Bay on Sunday.
Published: Jan. 22, 2023 at 11:07 AM HST|Updated: Jan. 22, 2023 at 10:24 PM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A large wave swept a baby under a home on Oahu’s North Shore on Sunday, but thankfully the child was uninjured.

The incident was one of dozens lifeguards and Honolulu EMS responded to as a powerful swell rolled in, bringing surf upwards of 50 feet.

The waves were big enough for “The Eddie” surf contest to be held. And organizers say an estimated 50,000 people flocked to Waimea Bay for the event.

With so many on the beaches, lifeguards were urging spectators to be aware — and never turn their back on the ocean.

Lifeguards said they rescued 64 people at Waimea Bay on Sunday.

Additionally, more than 10,500 preventive warnings were issued to beachgoers.

Around 4 p.m., Lifeguards responded to a 51-year-old female along Ke Nui Road behind the Ehukai Tower, after a large wave pushed a concrete barrier into the patient.

Lifeguards treated her for a possible fracture and she was subsequently transported to an ER.

Earlier in the day, about 9:15 a.m., Ocean Safety responded to a home on Ke Iki Road on the North Shore after a large wave roared ashore, slamming into two adults and a baby on the shoreline.

The baby was washed under the home, but quickly retrieved.

EMS said they evaluated the child and family members and none of them suffered any serious injuries.

Earlier in the day, about 8 a.m., EMS also responded after a 14-year-old boy fell about 10 feet out of a tree while attempting to watch “The Eddie” surf contest at Waimea Bay.

The child lost consciousness and was taken to an emergency room in serious condition.

EMS said after an evaluation that it appears the child will be OK.

And Ocean Safety and EMS were called to Chun’s surf break about 10:30 a.m. to treat a surfer who suffered possible broken ribs. The surfer declined transport to an emergency room.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.