3 HECO workers injured after being shocked while working on underground power line
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Three Hawaiian Electric workers were seriously injured after being shocked while working on an underground power line on Tuesday morning, authorities said.
Officials said the incident happened at the intersection of Pensacola and Kamaile streets around 8:30 a.m.
HECO said there was an arc flash — which happens when electricity jumps from one conductor to another — while the three were working.
The 34-year-old, 36-year-old and 56-year-old suffered electrical burns, according to officials.
They have since been treated and released from the hospital.
“We spend a considerable amount time and effort at Hawaiian Electric to ensure the safety of our workers and the community and we will look closely at what caused this incident to ensure it doesn’t happen again,” HECO said, in a statement.
Power was briefly knocked out, affecting 56 customers.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
Copyright 2022 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.