Mother of woman fatally stabbed on H-3 Freeway arrives in Hawaii amid search for answers

Mom of woman fatally stabbed on H-3 arrives in Hawaii amid search for answers
Published: Jul. 24, 2022 at 9:55 PM HST|Updated: Jul. 25, 2022 at 10:05 AM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A vigil was held at Kailua Beach Park on Sunday evening for the woman who was stabbed to death off the H-3 freeway last week.

More than two dozen people gathered to remember 27-year-old Dana Alotaibi, who was pregnant.

Friends and family say she was a vibrant, independent woman.

Her mother, Natalia Cespedes, flew to Oahu from Virginia on Saturday and met with Honolulu police about the investigation.

“Nothing is same without her,” she said. “I’m sure she was thinking where is my mom?”

Honolulu police have charged Alotaibi’s husband — 29-year-old Bryant Tejeda-Castillo — with murder. The active-duty Marine stationed in Kaneohe is being held on $1 million bail.

Heartbroken and frustrated, Cespedes asked to see Alotaibi’s body but says she was not allowed due to morgue protocol.

“I want to touch her, I want her to open her eyes, I want to see her, you know it’s what I want,” she said.

“I want to give a hug even those she’s cold probably I can give her some warmth from my body, it’s what is what I want. Most everything is probably not impossible here.”

Cespedes says her daughter planned to move back to the mainland in September and have her baby there.

It’s a different picture from the happy newlyweds who moved to Oahu three years ago and when Alotaibi began reporting her husband’s repeated abuse to his command. Cespedes recalls Tejeda-Castillo admitting his own mental health issues to her — but was afraid to report them.

“People behind him. the boss. the co-workers. they know but they everybody be quiet,” she said.

“I hope this can end and get the right justice.”

The Marines confirmed the couple was being counseled for marital problems. Cespedes said the military told the couple to cut all ties.

“They told her they will take her back to Virginia but there’s way too long,” she said.

She reached out to the Marines to find out how her daughter’s requests for help were handled, but was told no one was available until Monday or Tuesday.

Now she says she can only wait with the same feeling of helplessness her daughter felt in her abusive relationship. “I have so many questions. Many questions and no answers,” she said.

Alotaibi’s mother has set up a GoFundMe page for funeral and travel expenses.

To donate to Alotaibi’s family, click here.

Copyright 2022 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.