8-hour standoff with fugitive in Kapahulu begins dramatically but ends peacefully

Because the suspect was believed armed, nearby units were evacuated and roads were closed.
Published: Apr. 14, 2022 at 7:56 AM HST|Updated: Apr. 14, 2022 at 4:40 PM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A fugitive’s standoff with police in Kapahulu that started about 4 a.m., prompting evacuations and road closures for fears he was armed, ended peacefully eight hours later.

Law enforcement sources say Christian Chang was taken into custody just before 1 p.m. at an apartment near Date Street and Ekela Avenue.

Negotiators worked for hours trying to get the suspect to surrender ― at times using a loudspeaker to convince the suspect to come out of the home.

“You want to turn yourself in? Do it now,” one officer said.

About 12:45 p.m., Chang walked out with his hands on his head and surrendered.

HPD Capt. Parker Bode says the standoff started just after 4 a.m.

“The call was about a male suspect with an outstanding warrant who is possibly armed and barricading himself within the apartment,” he said.

Neighbors say soon after, AWAT officers had Ekela Avenue blocked.

“I woke up to a loudspeaker saying this is Honolulu police. You’re surrounded. Come out with your hands up,” said resident Marshall Finesilver.

“I look out the window and see police with a shield standing at the stairs.”

Finesilver says officers evacuated him out of his unit along with the rest of his neighbors.

“Two SWAT guys with a shield came and got us,” he said.

“We walked behind them. And we got to the bottom of the steps and they had a ballistic blanket which they held up between us and the other building.”

Court records show Chang has an extensive criminal history that includes abuse, drugs and firearms convictions.

The 37-year-old most recently pleaded guilty for auto theft last year but documents show he went on the run before sentencing.

Copyright 2022 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.