HFD determines fire at Longs Ala Moana was accidental; damage estimated at $339K
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Fire Department has determined a blaze at Longs Drugs in Ala Moana Shopping Center was accidental.
The fire was reported on Dec. 7 in the morning after a security guard noticed smoke coming from a loading dock area. Officials said the two-alarm fire started around 8:10 a.m. in a basement storage room.
HFD said an electrical panel in the room had shorted and sparked a fire, which spread to flammable items nearby.
Firefighters said the storage room, located directly below the store was full of boxes and merchandise, which hindered fire suppression. HFD said fortunately, the sprinkler system was activated and confined flames to an area about 20 feet by 20 feet.
However, officials said the fire was not fully extinguished and that crews had to sift through the room, despite poor visibility and little ventilation, to ensure nothing was smoldering.
HFD said the blaze was extinguished just before 9:30 a.m.
Officials said no injuries were reported.
The cost of damages is estimated at $339,000 — $139,000 to the structure and $200,000 to its contents.
Copyright 2021 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.