Advertisement

HFD: Mapunapuna military townhome fire caused by failed e-cigarette battery

Generic Image / HFD
Generic Image / HFD(HNN)
Published: Jul. 29, 2021 at 10:06 PM HST|Updated: Jul. 30, 2021 at 7:46 PM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Fire Department said a military family on Oahu has been displaced following a fire at their home on Thursday.

Officials said the fire started at around 4:20 p.m. at a military townhome in Mapunapuna.

HFD said seven units and about 26 personnel responded to the blaze.

Firefighters said smoke was emanating from the front of the structure as crews worked to get the fire under control. The fire was completely extinguished by 4:55 p.m.

Officials said one room on the first floor was damaged by the blaze, but firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to the rest of the house.

HFD said no injuries were reported and no one was in the unit at the time of the fire. Neighbors had called 911 after being alerted by a smoke detector and smelling smoke.

Upon further investigation, HFD determined the fire was caused by a failed lithium-ion battery for an electronic cigarette device.

Officials said the military family of four was displaced but were able to stay with family for the night.

Damages were estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $1,500 to the contents.

Copyright 2021 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.