Lockdown lifted at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam following security probe
HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - Authorities have lifted a lockdown at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam following a potential security concern.
No information was released on the investigation.
The lockdown was put in place about noon and was lifted about 1:30 p.m.
During the lockdown, traffic in the area was backed up as vehicles waited to get into the base. The traffic flow was slowly clearing on Wednesday afternoon.
Visitors who have started returning to the historical sites at Pearl Harbor were among those affected by the lockdown.
Luis Chevez of California was visiting the Battleship Missouri, moored at Ford Island.
“We were inside the ship when the alarm started ringing inside. And they kinda take us to a secure room and spend the time there for an hour and a half,” said Chevez.
Cathy Houf was with her husband and another couple at the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum when the lockdown took effect.
“We had been touring hangar 79, and we were walking back to the Aviation Museum entrance,” said Houf. “We had just done that and we found out that the line for the bus was a little longer than normal. There was a bomb scare. And they shut down the bridge to the island.”
“The gentleman that works in the Aviation came out and he announced to the group that there was a happening going on and everything was locked down,” said Martha Campiotti, who was also visiting the museum.
“You start to think about ‘are we going to get off of this island or not?’ That’s the only way in and out, right?” said Rich Campiotti.
“We waited outside for a while and got tired of that, so we went in and got some food in the cafeteria, and someone came in and told us that the buses were running again and the bridge was open,” said Bill Houf.
Visitor said despite the lockdown, they felt safe.
“I’m surrounded by military with these things, so I feel good about it,” said Chevez.
Copyright 2021 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.