After hours-long manhunt, suspected fugitive emerges from Ala Wai Canal waters

Police capture man who spent hours in Ala Wai Canal waters in bid to evade officers

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - A bizarre manhunt that led Honolulu police beneath the streets of Waikiki on Wednesday morning ended with a suspected fugitive in handcuffs.

Five hours after disappearing inside a box culvert on the makai side of the Ala Wai Canal, a man emerged from the polluted waters ― escorted by police.

The top of the suspect’s head was coated with what appeared to be mud.

Residents said the search left them stunned.

“I was thinking, ‘What’s happening in our little neighborhood?’” said Waikiki resident Nicole Lemas.

Ed Santos saw all the police while on a walk. “It’s like oh boy, you know? Just another day here.”

HPD sources identified the man as Jerry Andrade.

Records show the 34-year-old has four outstanding warrants. Two of them were for burglary. According to a post on Crimestoppers, he has 20 prior convictions.

The suspect moved slowly after his capture and grimaced in apparent pain.

The manhunt started shortly after 4 a.m. when Andrade was spotted in the Kapahulu area. He allegedly took off running onto the Ala Wai Golf Course and jumped into the canal near the 18th hole. The suspect then swam several blocks before darting into the box culvert.

“There’s rats. There’s whatever else. And with all the dredging he’s going to have to come out of there sometime. He can’t stay in there forever,” said Santos.

Plainclothes officers spent hours searching what officials described as a 7-by-4-foot storm drain. The underground manhunt extended almost to Kuhio Ave.

Sources say those officers were able to locate Andrade and convince him to give himself up.

“I’m really grateful that our police has the presence that they do,” said Lemas. “They were all hands on deck The force was all here. It was great to see them in all aspects trying to protect our community.”

Copyright 2021 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.