Reversing course, city will once again allow walk-in entry at Hanauma Bay
HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - The city is reversing course on new rules at Hanauma Bay.
They previously announced walk-up entry to the bay wouldn’t be allowed, but that changed Wednesday.
Over the weekend, the Parks Department banned walk-ins, saying it was cause for safety concerns along Kalanianaole Highway.
But the city says their new ticket system and visitor limits proved to be effective.
“The ticketing system and increased access to the preserve’s parking lot proved to be the solutions we needed to address the safety issues posed by limiting entry off of Kalanianaole Highway,” said DPR Director-Designate Laura H. Thielen.
“We appreciate the patience and flexibility of the public while we make these adjustments to our Hanauma Bay operations during this pilot program period. Providing a safe & enjoyable experience for bay visitors, while keeping the preserve’s conservation and fiscal sustainability objectives in mind, continues to be our ultimate goals,” Thielen added.
Daily capacity remains at 720 people, and all visitors must watch an educational video before entering.
Face mask, physical distancing, and gathering restrictions also remain in place.
Copyright 2021 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.