Father of man who investigators say was abducted, murdered ‘still in shock'

Top stories from across Hawaii and around the world, as seen on the 9 p.m. news broadcast from Hawaii News Now.
Updated: Jul. 30, 2020 at 10:07 PM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - Thursday marks four years since Johnathan Fraser vanished.

Federal authorities say the 21-year-old was murdered by an Oahu organized crime boss. And now, for the first time, the young man’s father is speaking publicly about his son.

William Fraser says the details surrounding his son’s murder are unfathomable, but he knew from the beginning that he would probably never see him again.

“After the fourth day of him being gone, I just had a really deep feeling in my gut that something was not right,” William Fraser said.

Federal investigators say Johnathan Fraser was abducted in 2016 and murdered at the hands of suspected mob boss Michael Miske.

Court documents say Miske formulated a plan to kidnap and kill Fraser and told a murder-for-hire suspect to “name the price.”

“I didn’t even know what to think or what to feel. Just in shock. Still in shock of what’s going on,” Fraser’s father said.

Fraser and Miske’s son, Caleb, were in a car crash in Kaneohe in 2015.

Caleb Miske died but Fraser survived.

Court documents suggest Miske waged violence on not only his rivals and competitors but innocent members of the community over a period spanning years, if not decades.

“Think the community already knows the truth and it’s time for the rest of Hawaii to know the truth of what’s been going on in our islands,” William Fraser said.

The Oahu businessman is accused of ordering one of his associates to purchase a white van to transport Fraser after he was captured.

Investigators say he also purchased a $425,000 Boston Whaler, named the Painkiller, to dispose of Fraser’s body. Investigators say defendant Lance Bermudez helped with torching the van.

Now, nearly a dozen people have been indicted and associated with the gang responsible for Fraser’s alleged premeditated murder.

“For the people who are involved, to get what they deserve. Get what they deserve,” William Fraser said. He realizes authorities will probably never recover his son’s body.

But he is confident his son didn’t die in vain.

“I love you. And we’re not going to stop at all until we get justice, John. We are not going to stop,” he said.

Miske’s detention hearing is scheduled for Aug. 11 at 930 a.m.

Copyright 2020 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.