DOH: New cluster of COVID-19 identified, 27 new cases reported statewide
HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - In a significant spike Sunday, the Department of Health reported 27 new cases statewide.
Majority of those cases, 23, were on Oahu. Kauai had two, and Maui and Hawaii island each had a single case.
The DOH said contact tracers were able to track down a new cluster at least 17 people who attended the same funeral. All are in isolation.
An additional six cases in Leeward Oahu are said to be tied to already known clusters. The statewide total of cases since the pandemic began now stands at 899.
“I think that we have let our guard down a little bit, and as we begin to look at the future, keep in mind that we have to be all of the most serious testing and tracing precautions in place,” Lt. Gov. Josh Green said.
“I don’t want people to panic. I do want people to remember the most important thing they can do is wear a mask and socially distance,” he added.
Meanwhile, 719 people have been released from isolation, meaning there are 180 active cases in the state.
“It’s important to celebrate life and share life events, whether it’s remembering someone who has passed or gathering with others in practicing a common faith, and doing so safely will protect our loved ones and the entire community,” said State Epidemiologist Dr. Sarah Park, chief of the DOH Disease Outbreak Control Division.
“Safe practices including physical distancing, wearing of masks, and frequent hand washing are critically important during these times and especially when we are with others outside of our daily household.”
Here’s the latest:
- A new death was reported Friday. Hawaii’s death toll now stands at 18.
- The total requiring hospitalization is 110.
- A Honolulu city bus driver is among those who have tested positive, city leaders confirmed.
[Find continuing coverage of the pandemic in our special section: CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC]
Here’s the latest county-by-county breakdown of confirmed positives:
- Total cases: 636
- Released from isolation: 502
- Required hospitalization: 81
- Deaths: 12
- Total cases: 123 (includes 2 on Molokai)
- Released from isolation: 113
- Required hospitalization: 25
- Deaths: 6
- Total cases: 37
- Released from isolation: 20
- Required hospitalization: 1
- Deaths: 0
- Total cases: 87
- Released from isolation: 84
- Required hospitalization: 2
- Deaths: 0
- Hawaii residents diagnosed out-of-state: 16
- Pending assignment to county: 0
Note: “Released from isolation” means it’s been three days since a patient has exhibited symptoms or seven since they first got sick, whichever is longest.
Copyright 2020 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.