11 new COVID cases reported statewide; 9 of the new cases are on Oahu
HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - Oahu led the state Sunday in the number of new COVID-19 cases reported.
Nine of the 11 total cases were that of patients on Oahu. Hawaii Island reported two additional positives.
In a brief sigh of relief for Kauai, no new cases were reported Sunday after health officials tracked down a cluster of eight cases total in one household.
Officials said the individuals who tested positive were already in quarantine when they were tested on the Garden Isle Friday.
Sunday’s new cases bring the statewide total in Hawaii since the pandemic began to 814. One additional person required hospitalization while seven more were released from isolation.
The state Health Department has said recent double-digit increases in cases are to be “expected” as businesses reopen and more activities are allowed. On Friday, bars, movie theaters and other venues were allowed to reopen on Oahu.
“This spike in cases and other recent daily spikes have been expected as people begin to move around more freely and more businesses are reopening,” said Dr. Sarah Park, state epidemiologist, in a news release.
“It’s important to point out, that the vast majority of the cases we’re seeing in the state are being spread by what we call community-associated infection. Only a handful of recent cases have been detected in travelers, known as travel-associated infection.”
Here’s the latest:
- Kauai’s cluster stems from household members of a new case previously reported this week.
- A number of the new cases are linked to previously reported clusters, including six linked to a Waipahu faith-based gathering. Twelve people have now been identified with that cluster.
- There are also clusters in Wahiawa and new cases in Pearl City.
- The outbreak linked to Hawaii’s largest nursing grew by one Friday to 12, with five residents hospitalized.
- Some 96 people statewide have required hospitalization, up by one from Thursday, and the death toll from the virus in Hawaii stands at 17.
[Find continuing coverage of the pandemic in our special section: CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC]
Here’s the latest county-by-county breakdown of confirmed positives:
- Total cases: 566
- Released from isolation: 437
- Required hospitalization: 71
- Deaths: 11
- Total cases: 122 (includes 2 on Molokai)
- Released from isolation: 113
- Required hospitalization: 22
- Deaths: 6
- Total cases: 29
- Released from isolation: 20
- Required hospitalization: 1
- Deaths: 0
- Total cases: 85
- Released from isolation: 81
- Required hospitalization: 2
- Deaths: 0
- Hawaii residents diagnosed out-of-state: 12
- Pending assignment to county: 0
Note: “Released from isolation” means it’s been three days since a patient has exhibited symptoms or seven since they first got sick, whichever is longest.
Copyright 2020 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.