HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Kalihi man accused of fatally shooting a 16-year-old last week outside his home claimed self-defense after the incident, but several neighbors offered a different account, according to newly-released court filings.
Richard Obrero was charged Saturday with murder, and remains behind bars on $1 million bail.
Police said they responded to the shooting just after 11 p.m. Thursday, after getting a 911 call from the suspect’s wife that four juveniles who had previously burglarized their property had returned.
Authorities said that earlier burglary happened about 9 p.m.
When officers arrived, they found Obrero in his backyard wearing a ballistic vest and peering over the fence toward where the group had fled. Obrero didn’t have anything in his hands and told officers: “They’re shooting at me. They’re shooting at my house. Do something. Do your job.”
Police determined several people were firing BB guns at the home from behind a vehicle at a nearby housing project. A responding officer drew his firearm and directed the group to put their hands up.
Once they did, police then heard yelling from nearby.
And that’s when they realized the teen had been shot. “He shot my boy!" one person screamed.
The teen was taken to the Queen’s Medical Center, where he later died.
Police then walked back to Obrero’s home, where they found the suspect crouched behind a fence. When asked if he had a gun, Obrero said, “I needed to defend myself."
But several neighbors disputed that self-defense claim.
One told police that she saw Obrero wearing a bulletproof vest outside his home and with what appeared to be a gun in his hands.
The neighbor told Obrero that the juveniles had run behind a dumpster.
To that, Obrero allegedly replied, “I know. He jumped the fence to grab his jacket. That’s when I got that **** good," according to the court documents.
Other witnesses also told police that Obrero fired two other shots at men who approached him to ask why he’d shot the teen.
This story may be updated.