Police used gas to bring 15-hour Pearl City standoff to an end

Police used gas to bring 15-hour Pearl City standoff to an end

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - The gunman who allegedly terrorized a Pacific Palisades neighborhood Thursday was arrested after police used gas to end the 15-hour standoff, authorities said.

Wayman Kaleo Kaua, 51, remains in police custody after being treated at a hospital for gas exposure and non-life-threatening gunshot injuries, police said.

He’s being held on two counts of first-degree attempted murder. Additional charges are also expected.

Police responded to the home on Apoepoe Street after receiving reports of shots being fired around 8:40 a.m. Thursday

Witnesses said Kaua left the scene, but when officers arrived, he came back.

“I was like oh my, what am I going to do. I stooped in the back of the house and was like OK he’s so close, he’s really, really close and we didn’t know what to do," said Carmen Tolentino.

Tolentino lives right next door and feared Kaua would try to get into her home.

"The next thing I know I hear the gate opening and I heard noises and he was coming up here and police officers saying, ‘Put your gun down! put your gun down!’ And then ‘Pop pop pop!’ Then I heard the gate trying to open again.”

HPD said Kaua refused to put his shotgun down and pointed it at one of the officers.

The officer fired, wounding Kaua in his stomach.

Kaua retreated back inside the two-story home and police escorted neighbors out in armored vehicles.

Throughout the day, Kaua intermittently shot at police and into the community.

Neighbors say it was a day of horror.

"Our hearts were pounding,” said next-door neighbor Josephine Knight.

Some neighbors chose to shelter in place.

“About 12 something, I heard about four or five like a shot gun go off. ‘Pop. Boom boom boom boom!’ said Donald Tominaga. " I came out look. I knew was over already."

Officers from HPD’s Specialized Services Division ― or SWAT team ― used what they called less-than-lethal gas on Kaua.

Kaua finally surrendered to police shortly after midnight.

On Friday afternoon, multiple bullet holes were visible in the windows of the home where the barricade situation happened and the back window of a car was shattered.

HPD is investigating how Kaua, who has 50 prior arrests ― 26 of which are felonies ― got his hands on a shotgun.

Copyright 2019 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.