HFD determines cause of Kaneohe house fire that displaced family of 7

HFD determines cause of Kaneohe house fire that displaced family of 7
The home went up in flames just after 6 p.m. Wednesday. (Source: Kiri Siu)

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Fire Department has determined that a fire that broke out at a Kaneohe home Wednesday night was an accident that was caused by arcing in an electrical outlet.

The fire, which broke out around 6:20 p.m. on Grote Road, left a family of seven — five adults and two children — without a home. They are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Flames and thick smoke were seen emanating from the home.

“The flames went just rise and in 15 minutes, was over the trees, over the neighbor’s roof and I was hoping that no one got hurt,” witness Arcady Maxilom said.

(Source: HNN)

HFD sent more than 30 fire personnel to the scene. EMS officials also responded.

All occupants escaped without injuries.

The fire was deemed under control at 6:40 p.m. and was fully extinguished by 7:15 p.m.

Fire damage is estimated at more than $540,000. HFD said the building did not have working smoke alarms nor did it have fire sprinklers.

This story will be updated.

Copyright 2019 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.