Fire extinguisher ‘accidentally discharged’ at Mililani YMCA; 4 taken to hospital

Fire extinguisher ‘accidentally discharged’ at Mililani YMCA; 4 taken to hospital
Mililani YMCA (File) (Source: HNN)

MILILANI (HawaiiNewsNow) - Four students were taken to Wahiawa General Hospital Monday after the accidental discharge of a fire extinguisher.

Medics responded to the Mililani YMCA on Hikikaulia Street just before 3:30 p.m.

Mililani YMCA Executive Director Ron Okimoto said the extinguisher was discharged by a student in a family changing restroom. The student is enrolled in the after school program.

Fourteen students and a staff member nearby immediately evacuated.

Nine of the students were examined by medics and released to their parents with no symptoms.

Four others were taken to the hospital; Two exhibited signs of shortness of breath. The YMCA said the other two were taken with no symptoms, but their parents were unable to pick them up at the time of the incident.

Those hospitalized range in age from 9 to 15, EMS said

“Safety is a top priority at the YMCA,” Okimoto said. “Our staff reacted quickly to contact EMT, move the children away from the affected area and contain and clean up the area. Arriving medics were extremely professional and efficient in not only examining the children, but reassuring them and their parents about their well-being.”

By 6:30 p.m., students were in the process of being discharged.

Copyright 2019 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.