HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Rainbow Wahine beach volleyball team swept CSUN 5-0 this morning in the opening day of the Big West Tournament.
The No. 1 SandBows, who are in search of their fourth-straight conference title, will face No. 2 Cal Poly on Saturday. After earning a bye as the tournament’s top seed, Hawaii cruised to a comfortable win over CSUN, inning in straight-sets on four of five courts.
The win marked the team’s seventh-straight win and 13th in the last 14 contests.
The SandBows will put their undefeated Big West Tournament record (10-0) on the line in a showdown versus Cal Poly (23-10). The Mustangs upset the Wahine, 3-2, earlier this year at the Big West Challenge at Pismo Beach. It was Hawaii’s first-ever loss to the Mustangs in eight all-time meetings.
Hawaii 5, CSUN 0
1. Amy Ozee/Emily Maglio (UH) def. Daniella Molinari/Seyvion Waggoner (CSUN), 21-13, 21-18
2. Julia Scoles/Ari Homayun (UH) def. Darbi Honeycutt/Mikaela Maughan (CSUN), 21-15, 21-12
3. Martin/Napoleon (UH) def. Brydon/McMurray (CSUN), 19-21, 21-10, 15-6
4. Hi'ilawe Huddleston/Kylin Loker (UH) def. Nicole Nevarez/Lexi McLeod (CSUN), 21-12, 21-14
5. Paige Dreeuws/Sofia Russo (UH) def. Cassidy Rosso/Kailey Klein (CSUN), 21-8, 21-17