Suspect charged in deadly Punaluu shooting claims he opened fire in self defense

Sources: Homicide investigation opened in Punaluu after apparent shooting

PUNALUU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The suspect in last week’s deadly shooting in Punaluu claims he opened fire in self defense, according to new court documents released Tuesday.

Raymond Sheldon (Image: Honolulu Police Department)
Raymond Sheldon (Image: Honolulu Police Department)

Accused killer Raymond Sheldon, 43, told police that Hansen Apo was in a vehicle outside of Sheldon’s home on Friday night.

Sheldon said Apo allegedly drove toward him and hit his left leg with the vehicle. He claims Apo was on drugs and was going to rob him.

Sheldon said he shot Apo “until he stopped moving,” then later dragged his body to the back of the house.

Officers responded just before 11 p.m. to the home on Moliko Lane after neighbors reported hearing gunshots. But police didn’t find a victim or a suspect at the scene — so they ended up opening an attempted murder investigation.

Honolulu Police Lt. Deena Thoemmes said police on scene found evidence to suggest there had been some type of altercation.

About 1:30 p.m. Saturday, police say a witness reported finding a man’s body in a wooded area near the initial scene of the Punaluu residence.

Sheldon has since been charged with second-degree murder and a firearms offense. His bail has been set at $1 million.

This story will be updated.

Copyright 2019 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.