HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A fire on a 40-foot fishing vessel Thursday apparently started when members of the crew were undergoing a routine Customs and Border Protection inspection and inadvertently left a stove burner on in the galley, officials said.
The fire started about 1:30 p.m., and smoke pouring from the boat ― St. Peter ― could be seen from several blocks away.
The fire on the vessel was extinguished by 2:11 p.m.
The Coast Guard said the fire started during a routine Customs inspection of the vessel. A stove burner was apparently left on in the galley when the crew was asked to appear on the pier.
The vessel has a maximum of 8,000 gallons of diesel. There were no reports of pollution or injuries.
This story will be updated.