HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Despite the tentative deal to reopen the government Friday, Hawaii’s government workers' union says they will still hand out resources to employees in need.
The resources include food as well as Texaco gas cards for Hilo and Kona residents.
“Island Energy heard that local workers couldn’t afford to fill gas to get to their jobs and we wanted to help.” said Al Chee, VP Retail, Marketing and Community Relations at Island Energy. “We are donating to the “Feed the Feds” fund Texaco gas cards for the affected workers that they are able to pick up at the Hilo and Kona Food Basket distribution sites.”
Workers only need to show their federal IDs to get benefits. AFL-CIO Community Services is coordinated the distributions.
On Saturday, volunteers will be at the Hilo Food Basket from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The Hawaii Foodbank will also host a drive at the Nana I Ka Pono Protestant Church in Waianae. Donations will be accepted at starting at 8:30 a.m. To support the Hawaii Foodbank, click here.
Food distribution begins at 10 a.m. Other distribution centers across the state will open at various dates through next month.
Below is a list of AFL-CIO community drives and distributions:
- MAUI, Mondays: 1/28, 2/4, 2/11, (Tuesday 2/19), 12 – 4:00 p.m. Location: ILWU 896 Lower Main Street, Wailuku, HI 96793
- OAHU, Tuesdays: 1/29, 12-4:00 p.m. Location: Seafarers Union Hall 606 Kalihi Street, Honolulu, HI 96819
- OAHU, Tuesdays: 2/5, 2/12, 12-4:00 p.m. Location: IBEW 1186 1935 Hau St #400, Honolulu, HI 96819
- KAUAI, Thursdays: 1/24, 1/31, 2/7, 2/14, 12 – 4:00 p.m. Location: HGEA 3213 Akahi Street, Līhu‘e, HI 96766
- KONA, Fridays: 2/1, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Location: Kailua-Kona Airport
- HILO, Saturdays: 1/26, 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 9-2:30 p.m. Location: Hawaii Food Basket Hilo 40 Holomua Street, Hilo HI 96720