Advertisement

More charges may be filed against members of sovereignty group who stormed OHA

At least five people were arrested last week after storming OHA’s office on Nimitz Highway.
At least five people were arrested last week after storming OHA’s office on Nimitz Highway.(HNN/file (custom credit) | Hawaii News Now)
Updated: Jan. 23, 2019 at 5:41 PM HST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -Members of the so-called “Kingdom of Atooi” may face additional criminal charges after their attempted take over of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs.

Last week, five of the sovereignty group’s marshals were arrested for raiding the Honolulu office, which prompted an evacuation and police response.

Police were called after employees said they were assaulted by members of the group. The five arrested faced charges of third-degree assault, but were released after posting bail.

On Wednesday, Honolulu police officials said the attorney general is looking at more serious charges against the group’s members based on new allegations against the group. Specifics were limited.

Copyright 2019 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.