Big Island family avoids house fire after beauty products nearly self-combust

Big Island family avoids house fire after beauty products nearly self-combust
Photo from Google Maps showing homes along Waianuenue Avenue in Hilo. (Source: Google Maps)

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Quick-thinking members of a Hilo family called firefighters on Sunday after a beauty product container began to spontaneously heat up and emit smoke inside their home, fire officials say.

The incident, which was first reported just after 11 p.m., did not result in any injuries.

Police officials say they arrived on scene to find that the occupants of the Waianuenue Ave. home had self evacuated and were sitting in the driveway. Firefighters began an investigation and quickly discovered the source of concern: a hair highlighting product.

Fire officials say a plastic container containing a product called ‘Quick White’ had begun the combustion process and was melting the plastic around it, though no flames were visible.

The bleaching agent contains ammonium persulfate and potassium persulfate, which the fire department says are oxidizing agents that “had caused spontaneous heating/ignition of the organic materials.”

Based on the rapidly-rising temperature of the plastic container, it would have likely caught fire within a few hours, firefighters say.

No serious damage to the home was reported.

Copyright 2019 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.