HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - As the government shutdown drags on, more federal employees are finding themselves in dire financial straits.
A number of nonprofits are stepping in to help. Here’s a look at what resources are available:
Emergency food assistance
- A list of food pantries on Oahu and Kauai can be found here.
- For food assistance on the Big Island, click here.
- Federal workers in Maui County can get food assistance by clicking here.
- A special food bank for Coast Guard families will be held Tuesday from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Aliamanu Military Reservation Community Center Multipurpose Room no. 2
Aloha United Way
- For other types of assistance, call Aloha United Way at 211 for referrals to services.
Banks offering assistance or loans
- A number of banks have announced they’re offering affected federal employees mortgage relief or low-interest loans as the shutdown continues. Contact your bank for more information.
This story will be updated.