2 pet dogs escape Waialaua house fire unscathed

2 pet dogs escape Waialaua house fire unscathed
(Source: Google Maps)

HALEIWA (HawaiiNewsNow) - Honolulu firefighters responded to a house fire on Oahu’s North Shore Monday afternoon.

The Honolulu Fire Department says no one was home at the time the fire started.

It happened at a home on Haleiwa Road around 3:30 p.m. HFD responded with six units and 19 personnel.

Two of the resident’s four dogs were inside the duplex when flames began. Firefighters let out the two dogs who were unharmed.

By 4:15 p.m., the fire was deemed fully extinguished.

Fire investigators have completed their investigation into the fire. They say flames started due to the stove being inadvertently turned on, igniting combustibles on top of the stove.

The fire caused an estimated $20,000 in damage to the structure and its contents.

This story will be updated.

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.