Arizona man accused of trying to have sex with Oahu girls

Albert Cook
Albert Cook

By Minna Sugimoto - bio | email

HONOLULU (KHNL) - State prosecutors call it a disturbing case. An Arizona resident, accused of trying to have sex with two young girls on Oahu, was indicted on electronic enticement charges Thursday.

State prosecutors say for the past several months, Rangie Alangcas thought he was chatting over the Internet with two 14-year-old girls, but it was actually an undercover officer on the other side.

An Arizona man, accused of being a child predator, is in seclusion at his parents' home in Ewa.

"I still haven't contacted a lawyer, so I'm not going to talk," the suspect said.

State prosecutors go behind closed doors and obtain a grand jury indictment against Rangie Alangcas, 26. They say he went online and had sexually explicit conversations with an undercover officer.

"He solicited via the Internet whom he thought were two 14-year-old girls, indicated that he wanted to have sexual relations with each of them," Albert Cook, deputy attorney general, said.

Investigators say they arrested Alangcas after he flew in from Arizona and showed up at the Pearl Kai McDonald's to meet the girls.

"During the chats, he had talked about different sexual acts he wanted to do with them, and they responded that they haven't done anything like that before," Cook said. "So he directed them to certain pornographic websites."

Under a new, tougher Hawaii law, the suspect faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted of electronic enticement.

"We were hoping that that would be a deterrent," Cook said about the stiffer punishment. "But people, apparently, are still willing to arrange to meet people that they think are children online and show up to have sex with them."

The grand jury also indicts Alangcas on attempted promotion of pornography charges.

"I can't say anything," the suspect said.

"You sure you don't want to explain your side of the story?" this reporter asked.

"No," Alangcas said as he shut the front door.

The suspect is free after posting $50,000 bail.