Victims recovering after stabbing attack on Koko Crater - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Victims recovering after stabbing attack on Koko Crater

Guy Tanaka Guy Tanaka
Hilda Tanaka Hilda Tanaka

By Paul Drewes - bio | email

HAWAII KAI (KHNL) - It is a cruel twist of fate, a son comes here every year to help his parents out. But now because of a bizarre stabbing case that took place on top of a scenic East Oahu hike, it will be the parents who will help care for Guy Tanaka as he recovers from his injuries.

In the shadow of Koko Crater, you'll find the Tanaka home.

The nearby hike was too inviting for Guy Tanaka to pass up.

After spending time here, helping around his parents house, the tree inspector from Riverside California had one more day in the islands.

"He was out here for a week and today, Monday, was the day he was supposed to go back home. Doctors say 'No way are you going home today!'," said his mother Hilda.

Guy's final day turned into a nightmare when he was stabbed in the back while at the top of the Koko Crater Hike. But just minutes before, he had called his mom.

"He was talking to me saying 'I'll be home in 20 minutes', later on my daughter in law said she was talking to Guy and she heard something in the background and then she was cut off"

Another man was also stabbed in a separate attack.

Both victims were flown down from the mountain and taken to the hospital.

But Tanaka credits the quick help from other hikers after the attack with saving her son.

"A lot of people up there helped, they put a towel to apply pressure until the helicopter came"

Doctors have treated Tanaka for the injury, but cannot stitch up his back because of the severity of the stabbing.

"Pretty deep you know, it went all the way to his lungs," said his mom.

Even though he is now at the hospital, his mother Hilda, still shudders at what happened to her oldest son out for a simple hike in her backyard.

"Its terrible, just the thought of that happening, its just terrible"

The other stabbing victim, Nicholas Iwamoto, was also taken to Queen's Medical Center where he was last listed in critical condition.

Powered by Frankly