Lawmakers shocked HTA head asked to resign - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Lawmakers shocked HTA head asked to resign

Rex Johnson Rex Johnson

By Diane Ako - bio | email and Taires Hiranaka

HONOLULU (KHNL) - Shock and surprise. That's how many across the state are reacting tonight to word of potential wrongdoing at the Hawaii Tourism Authority. Earlier this week, two members of HTA'S board of directors asked president Rex Johnson to step down, after adult material was allegedly found in his work e mail. "It was a huge error in judgment on my part. Bad mistake. I will abide by the board's decision on all matters," says Johnson via a phone interview.

The state's top tourism officer won praise for his handling of recent crises like the closure of Aloha airlines, the pullout of cruise ships, and a national recession that's hit Hawaii's economy hard. State Rep. Ryan Yamane (D- Waipahu, Mililani), chair of the House tourism and culture committee, is concerned. "During this most critical time in our industry, the board has asked the president and CEO to resign. If there is enough valid reason to do that that's their kuleana (business) but we'd like to know what's the plan on what's going to happen if we change the president and CEO."

Industry insiders say Johnson has a good reputation. Yamane agrees, though he also says Johnson should be reprimanded. "I was very surprised. Mr. Johnson has been very involved with tourism keeping us informed at the capitol for many years. He's moved the HTA in a direction of being a leader in the industry and responded to crises that we could have never expected."

It's a story Yamane will be watching closely, and he says everyone who benefits from the tourism industry should care, too. "As our tourism declines this is not a robust time of our economic situation. We rely heavily on tourism, and to change the CEO suddenly is going to have an effect."

The HTA board scheduled an executive session regarding Johnson on Wednesday afternoon.

Job Link 8 Featured Jobs
  • Hawaii News Now headlinesNewsMore>>

  • Philippine policeman: Villagers refused advice to flee storm

    Philippine policeman: Villagers refused advice to flee storm

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 7:37 AM EDT2018-09-18 11:37:16 GMT
    Tuesday, September 18 2018 12:10 PM EDT2018-09-18 16:10:03 GMT
    (AP Photo/Aaron Favila). Philippine Police Senior Inspector Heherson Zambale walks at the site where victims are believed to be buried in a landslide set off by Typhoon Mangkhut as it lashed across Itogon, Benguet province, northern Philippines, Tuesda...(AP Photo/Aaron Favila). Philippine Police Senior Inspector Heherson Zambale walks at the site where victims are believed to be buried in a landslide set off by Typhoon Mangkhut as it lashed across Itogon, Benguet province, northern Philippines, Tuesda...
    A Philippine police officer says he tried to persuade residents of a mining camp to move to safety as a typhoon approached, but they appeared unconcerned and refused to leave a day before the storm triggered a huge...More >>
    A Philippine police officer says he tried to persuade residents of a mining camp to move to safety as a typhoon approached, but they appeared unconcerned and refused to leave a day before the storm triggered a huge landslide that buried dozens of people.More >>
  • Trump imposes tariffs on $200B more of Chinese goods

    Trump imposes tariffs on $200B more of Chinese goods

    Monday, September 17 2018 6:57 PM EDT2018-09-17 22:57:00 GMT
    Tuesday, September 18 2018 12:00 PM EDT2018-09-18 16:00:04 GMT
    The tariffs will start at 10 percent and rise to 25 percent starting Jan. 1. (Source: AP Photo/Ben Margot)The tariffs will start at 10 percent and rise to 25 percent starting Jan. 1. (Source: AP Photo/Ben Margot)

    Trump intensifies trade war by imposing tariffs on $200B more of China goods starting next week.

    More >>

    Trump intensifies trade war by imposing tariffs on $200B more of China goods starting next week.

    More >>
  • Residents, businesses brace for rail construction through urban core

    Residents, businesses brace for rail construction through urban core

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 11:40 AM EDT2018-09-18 15:40:10 GMT

    Rail disruptions will be moving deeper into the city as crews start a four-year, $400-million project to relocate utility lines in the city center section.

    More >>

    Rail disruptions will be moving deeper into the city as crews start a four-year, $400-million project to relocate utility lines in the city center section.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly