Rat problem traps a Waipahu family

Adeline Marks
Adeline Marks
Anthony Marks
Anthony Marks

By Leland Kim - bio | email

WAIPAHU (KHNL) - Imagine living in a house infested with rodents. That's the reality for a Waipahu family, and they say, they're not getting much cooperation from their landlord.

The Marks family moved into their apartment four months ago. They were hoping for a new start, but a health hazard is making it tough to be in their own home.

Anthony and Adeline Marks enjoy teaching their son Anthony Jr. how to develop his imagination. The family is also getting an unexpected lesson in living with rodents. A rat problem has made them feel trapped in their own home.

"I just noticed a smell coming from the oven," said Adeline Marks. "It was like a dead smell. To me, it smelled like a dead cat."

They noticed what appears to be rat droppings in their kitchen. Soon after that, they made a gruesome discovery.

"Anthony, tell me where the rat was found," said KHNL.

"It was found between the top part of the stove, and in the inside above the top part," said Anthony Marks, Sr. So when you open this up, they pulled the bottom part out, there was a rat between this and the top of the stove.

"I was disgusted," said Adeline Marks. "I was very upset."

They complained to their landlord, who sent a pest control company. But instead of fixing the problem, the technician just gave the family rat traps.

One theory is the rats are coming through the bottom of this kitchen door frame. It's supposed to be sealed, but as you can see, there's a big hole at the bottom.

Gaps around the kitchen sink pipe could also be a possible entry point for rats. A health department inspector came by last week and confirmed there's evidence of rodent activity.

"I told them about the rats being in the attic," said Adeline Marks. "And he said, 'Do you hear them every night?' And I said, 'Every night.'"

They're not the only ones. Their neighbors say they hear rodents scurrying about at night in between the walls.

"I just hope they clean up the place and make sure it's safe and livable," said Adeline Marks.

Oasis, the apartment complex's management, would not talk to us. Instead they referred us to their headquarters on the mainland. A message left early this afternoon was not returned.

A heart department inspector will return Friday. The management company could be fined if the problem is not fixed.