PUHI, Kauai (KHNL) -- A 51-year-old Puhi man is in fair condition after a fire burned down a portion of his home on Mano Street Thursday night.
Officials say the fire broke out at about 11:42 p.m. and was mostly contained to the enclosed garage.
The man was found lying on the ground outside the house suffering from smoke inhalation when firefighters and police arrived. He was taken to Wilcox Hospital.
Fire officials credit the neighbors' quick action as to why the fire didn't spread. Residents used their garden hoses to try to put out the fire.
The fire caused $60,000 in damages to the home and its content.